View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss_J

re: Just found this, had to share, Canada owns.

I first saw this in the newspaper years ago when I was working overnights, I clipped it and saved it for some reason, but I just found it again. I lack a scanner at the moment, so I'm typing out the story and including a picture of the article clipping as proof that I didn't make this shit up. Happy

----------------------------------------------------------------------
July 28th, 2007 - Printed in the Saturday SUN
"Roy to the Rescue" by Chris Doucette

A scrappy senior is being hailed a hero for being able to cane two crooks, one of whom was weilding a knife, and put and end to a drugstore robbery in Oshawa.

It was a situation that would leave most 64-year-olds severely shaken, but now Roy Dixon, who has trained in various martial arts since he was just a child.

"I heard those women screaming and I just reacted" the fit grandfather said yesterday at his home in Whitby, muscles in his forarms rippling as he gripped a cane in his massive hands to demonstrate how he took care of the first of two theives Monday.

Durham police say a man wearing a stocking over his head walked into Central Pharmacy as 211 Simcoe St. S., just south of King St. around noon, pointed "a large knife" at three women behind the counter and demanded they hand over an assortment of narcotics.

ROBBERY IN PROGRESS

Dixon walked into the store to get a prescription filled as the robbery was in progress and said he couldn't help but get involved. He claims one of the men threatened to kill him and lunged at him with the knife.

"They underestimated me," said Dixon, whi is only about 5-foot-7 and 170 pounds. "I definately surprised them. I'm not a dangerous person but I am prepared, deadly prepared. And I'm not afraid of anybody."

"I eat, drink and sleep martial arts," said Dixon, who retired last year from GM after 34 years on the job and still practices judo and karate daily.

When the man lunged at him, Dixon quickly grabbed two wooden canes at the store and a steel one and clubbed one man in the neck.

One of ht men, described by Dixon as about 6-foot-4 attempted a feble kick and then took a further beating.

He then held him at bay until police arrived.

"He told (the robber) to sit on the floor with his head down and his eyes closed, like a 3-year-old," Sgt. Paul McCurbin said, explaining the crook initially refused but after a few more whacks he was happy to oblige.

"When officers arrived and put him in handcuffs, he looked up at Dixon and asked "Is it okay if I get up now, sir?" McCurbin said.

PAID PRICE

A second man in the store, who police allege was an accomplice, also attempted to take on Dixon and paid the price.

Dixon said he took it easy on the pair because he "didn't want to kill them." But both men still had to be treated in hospital following their encounter.

"He's a brave man," said Elizabeth, an assistant pharmacist who was behind the counter during the robbery and did not give her last name.

"We're all grateful he was there."

Dixon said he was the Canadian light-heavyweight champion in karate for 7 years as a young man. He also taught Durham Police self-defense 20 years ago.

McCurbin said Dixon will definately be recommended for some sort of commendation.

Walter Williams Wilson, 43, and Lee Silverthorne, 25, both of Bruce St. Oshawa, are charged with robbery and possession of weapons.

Forum Image

Akaiyukii

re: Just found this, had to share, Canada owns.

More news about Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUQZW6YetjE

Have no Fear Akai is Here!
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrome Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum